After months of speculation and rumors, Samsung has finally introduced its Galaxy S21 line. The launch was scheduled for 2020, during the Mobile World Congress, but the pandemic changed plans and Samsung decided to launch its flagship a few months later.
Following its launch pattern, Samsung unveiled 3 new devices: Galaxy S21, Galaxy S21 Plus and Galaxy S21 Ultra. Among the novelties of this line, we highlight the support for the S Pen (the Samsung pen, characteristic of the Note line) and the dual telephoto lenses. The new Samsung S21 ultra costs $ 200 less than last year's Galaxy S20 Ultra, but it's still a heavy investment for a Smartphone.
One of the rumors that worried users, was confirmed, the South Korean company announced that the new models of the Galaxy S21, will come without the charger and earphones in the packaging, thus following Apple and iPhone 12. The justification was identical to that of Apple , who raised environmental concerns. Trend should expand to other brands that manufacture high-end smartphones this year
Whenever there are new releases, the question remains which model to choose, see the detailed specifications of the three new smartphones.
Galaxy S21 and S21 + | 5G
The Galaxy S21 and S21 + have very similar specifications, as has been standard. In terms of the screen, the difference is in the dimension (6,2 vs 6,7 inches) - 2-inch Dynamic AMOLED 6,2X Infinity-O with Full HD + resolution (2400 x 1080) on the Galaxy S21 and Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity-O 6,7 inches with Full HD + resolution (2400 x 1080) on the Galaxy S21 +. Both devices support refresh rates up to 120Hz and are certified for HDR10 +.
Both smartphones feature a Samsung Exynos 2100 or Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chip, 8GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 128GB / 256GB of storage capacity.
The battery is a point to take into account, the Galaxy S21 brings a battery of 4.000mAh, while the Galaxy S21 + brings a battery of 4.800mAh. Both also support 25W fast charging.
As for the cameras, there are no differences between the two:
- 10MP front camera with f / 2.2 aperture, 80 degree field of view and auto focus
- Three rear cameras - a 12MP ultrawide with f / 2.2 aperture and 120 degree field of view, a 12MP wide with f / 1.8 aperture, auto focus and OIS stabilization, and a 64MP telephoto with f / 2.0 aperture, zoom 3X hybrid, auto focus and OIS stabilization.
Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G
At the top of the line, comes the Galaxy S21 Ultra, with a 2-inch Dynamic AMOLED 6,8X Infinity-O screen with Quad HD + resolution (3200 x 1440), 120Hz refresh rate and HDR10 + certified. At the processor level, there are no changes, the Ultra comes equipped with the Samsung Exynos 2100 or Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 chip depending on the region. The S21 Ultra maintains its curved design and gains support for the S-Pen, Samsung's smart pen, which is also not included in the package.
As for storage, the Ultra models range from 12GB / 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM, 128GB / 256GB / 512GB of storage capacity, microSDXC card slot and 5.000mAh battery with support for 25W fast charging.
The cameras of the Galaxy S21 Ultra make a difference compared to the rest of the line:
- Front camera 40MP with f / 2.2 aperture, 80 degree field of view and auto focus,
- Four rear cameras - the main one from 108MP with f / 1.8 aperture, 83 degree field of view, auto focus and OIS stabilization, a 12MP ultrawide with f / 2.2 aperture, 120 degree field of view and auto focus, a 10MP telephoto with f / 2.4 aperture, field 35 degrees of view, OIS stabilization and 3X optical zoom, and a 10MP telephoto with f / 4.9 aperture, 10 degree field of view, auto focus and 10X optical zoom. The rear camera set also includes a laser sensor for autofocus.
As expected, the line continues to support 5G networks (that's why Samsung promotes devices like the Galaxy S21 5G).
Pricing and Availability
- Galaxy S21: $ 799
- Galaxy S21 +: $ 999
- Galaxy S21 Ultra: $ 1.199
This time Samsung has higher prices than the last line launched by Apple, which ranges between $ 729 and $ 1.099.
The Galaxy S21 will be available in the US from January 29, 2021.